Service description – DEMEK Mental Health Counselling for International Students
- Clear evidence of imminent danger of harm to self and/or others. In this case we are obliged to inform the authorities responsible for ensuring safety (e.g. ambulance).
- We are working as a team, which means that your counselor may consult with another professional from the team for professional purposes and regarding the student, anonymously.
- Our service is financed by the University, which means, it is free of charge for students.
- Appointment Accountability: Please arrive on time for your appointment! In case you cannot attend, please inform your counsellor as far in advance as possible. Missed appointments without cancelling or not showing up for the session reduces our capacity to provide help to you and other students. After a cancelled appointment or no-show, you are responsible for scheduling your next appointment.
- Office hours: only by appointment!
- Appointment: https://demek.unideb.hu/en/form/for-foreign-students
- Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alexandra Kitti Szikszai
My name is Alexandra Szikszai, I’m a psychologist at DEMEK. Since from a young age I knew I wanted to work with people, understand them better and help them as much as I can. So after high school I applied to the University of Debrecen and finished my studies here and I became a health psychologist. Due to the fact that I crave a deeper knowledge of this profession, beside working here full time I’m doing my PhD where I’m examining how Covid-19 affected the mental health. In addition to that I’m studying sexual psychology as well. The reason why I started it is because I think it is a topic that people don’t really like to talk about, altough it can positivily affect the mental health and the relationship complacency. During my teenage years I was modelling, so I traveled the world, and I believe I can understand how hard it can be to adjust to a new life abroad. When I finished my studies and got the opportunity to work at DEMEK full time I was the happiest, because I got the chance to start my journey as a psychologist. I describe myself as an empathic, really open minded person. My goal is to help to find the resources and strengths in people to get through their difficulties.
My name is Bettina Kenyeres-Muha. I'm a clinical psychologist at DEMEK. I applied to the University of Debrecen and I became a health psychologist in the first place. Then I felt that I wanted to gain more knowledge and I became a clinical psychology resident. During my residency years I did work with patients with somatic diseases and also with patients with psychological, mental problems. I've also had some experience of working with different types of groups as a group leader. I taught communication and psychology to international students. I got to know different cultures and habits. I had the opportunity to have counselling sessions with both Hungarian and international students of the university. I'm a good listener. I'm an empathetic and open-minded person. I am committed to helping people find their way to healing and self-awareness.